Friday, September 25, 2009

Kitesurfing GPS

I have had a few questions about the GPS I use for logging my kiting sessions. Currently, I am using a Garmin Foretrex 101 pictured below.



I don't quite trust the waterproofing, so I have taken the wrist band off and put in it a waterproof pouch, which I then put in the front pocket of my buoyancy vest. If I don't wear my vest I cannot use it, so I have also purchased a Pacqua waterproof arm pouch.

If you want to get serious and try for a speed record, you can read about which GPS units to use the Navi GT31 or Navi GT11 ) is recommended, at GPS-kitesurfing.com. You can also upload your track logs to this site and compare with others how you are going.

For more information see GPS for kitesurfing - Kitesurfing Handbook


4 comments:

Boris T said...

Cool sweet idea, thanks.

Mat said...

hi, shouldn't be there some kind of note on the gps if it's waterproof or not? i want to check my speed too when kiting and am looking for the right device atm. was this one ok for you?

thanks
mat

Peter Campbell said...

Mat, GPS units have a waterproof rating if they are waterproof. The Garmin Foretrex unit is rated for submersion to 1m.

However, there is a rubber grommet that you must position over the data plug. If this is not correctly seated problems could result.

Putting the unit in a proper waterproof bag provides better peace of mind.

Zephyr said...

For adventures and competitions, you can set Foretrex's timers to count down the start sequence of a race and sound audible alarms when a certain time has passed. You can resynchronize your timer at any time, you can do so with just one button press. The large-number display makes it easy to see data at a glance. And, like all Garmin handhelds, it's tough, IPX7 waterproof and easy to use with a few operating buttons.